While a pet cat may be relatively low-maintenance, a cat tree or condo tends to be one of the more expensive items in Singapore pet shops. Despite its cost, a cat tree or condo is essential for felines as it allows them to play, scratch and offers them the height to observe their “territory”. Also doubling up as a scratching tool, these amenities offer your feline an outlet to satisfy their natural need to use their claws, prevent boredom and protect your furniture from being shredded.Source: Upetstore Co
While your fur-kid deserves the best things in life, sometimes a do-it-yourself project can be just as valuable as a store-bought item. Here’s one way to create a cat condo made from a tower of boxes.Materials needed:
4 Wooden boxes of varying sizes
Soft fabrics and pet-safe paint
- 1. Outline shapes such as circles or squares on each box and cut through them accordingly. These shapes will act as the tower’s entrance and exit for your felines.
- 2. Once the outer doorways are formed, repeat the step inside the boxes. This is to create a link to each level. This way, your feline is able to climb through the tower from the inside. Ensure that each hole is aligned. For e.g. the hole from the largest box is directly below the hole of the box above it.
- 3. Use a foam brush to paint the box with a colour of your choice. Apply as many coats as needed and leave to dry.
- Once dry, cover the exposed (top) area of each wooden box with fabric. The soft fabric will provide your feline with a comfortable surface to stand on or rest on as it climbs.
- 4. Customise the tower by including your feline’s favourite items and a soft blanket. You may also attach pieces of soft fabrics throughout the tower to serve as a scratching post for your feline.
Instead of shelling out hundreds on a cat condo, build your own affordable and customisable tower. An additional advantage of this box tower is that it can shift between a tower and a tunnel. However, ensure the openings in the boxes are aligned either way.