Colour Them Not: The Danger of Pet Dyes

Colour Them Not: The Danger of Pet Dyes

Colour Them Not: The Danger of Pet Dyes

Source: Dissolve

Recent reports of a Thai lady’s dog whose ear fell off after she got its ears dyed at a salon were alarming to say the least. Dyed pet fur has always been rather popular as it produces occasional adorable results. However, the risks taken are often far more serious than owners know and by the time they realise, it is too late and they have put their beloved pet through much suffering. Before you colour your furball’s fur, read to be aware of what harm you could be inflicting on your best fur-iend!

Health Complications

Colour Them Not: The Danger of Pet Dyes

Source: Daily Beast

Even the most pet-safe dyes contain strong chemicals and when these come into contact with your pet’s skin, it might cause an allergic reaction or skin irritation which may result in itchiness or painful sores. Either way, it’s uncomfortable for your pet, to say the least. Moreover, animals have more sensitive skin than humans. So even if you test the dye on your skin with no negative reactions, the same cannot be said for your pet.

Dyeing your pet’s fur also increases their risks of getting an ear infection, which is caused by excess moisture. Dyeing requires a good amount of rinsing and tons of water is involved, coupled with the fact that animals have more ear folds (particularly those with floppy ears) which retains moisture. Thus, pet dyes makes your furry friends prone to painful ear infections.

Harmful Chemicals

Colour Them Not: The Danger of Pet Dyes

Source: @thedogist

These strong chemicals that are dyed onto your pet’s fur will be ingested when your furball licks itself. Pet owners know that it’s impossible to stop your pets from gnawing, nibbling or licking themselves, and when they do, the toxicity of these substances are likely to cause nausea, vomiting and more negative effects.

Unnecessary Stress

Dyeing your pet’s fur results in a lot more stress for it, inflicting emotional damage that you could save it. Most pets don’t like grooming so this additional time and treatments at the salon will cause it extra distress, especially since dyeing is usually a long process.

Moreover, it may not recognise itself if it sees its reflection after being dyed which can be extremely confusing and anxiety-inducing. Not only that, its fur-iends may not recognise it as well because the dye will change the way your pet smells, making it seem like a foreign creature. This may result in your pet losing its friends and possibly even treated aggressively by them.

Colour Them Not: The Danger of Pet Dyes

Source: Pinterest

Another source of stress comes from potential mockery. While they may not completely understand what’s going on, but it has been shown that pets know when they’re being laughed at which makes them upset.

In more serious cases, dyeing your pet’s fur might even lead to death, a chance that you surely don’t want to take just for a cute photo. Pets are wonderful companions but as pet owners, we have to be responsible for their safety and well-being. So keep in mind that they aren’t a fashion accessory!

leave your comment


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *